The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints President Russell M. Nelson has a message to everyone directly from God: Stop calling it the “Mormon Church.” And stop calling it the “LDS Church.”
While you’re at it, stop calling Mormons “Mormons.” God doesn’t like that, either.
Nelson explained all this in a press release this afternoon, primarily directed at people who write about
Mormons “members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” He noted that “The Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He has revealed for His Church.”
So here are the new official guidelines, straight from the head not-a-Mormon:
- In the first reference, the full name of the Church is preferred: “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”
- When a shortened reference is needed, the terms “the Church” or the “Church of Jesus Christ” are encouraged. The “restored Church of Jesus Christ” is also accurate and encouraged.
- While the term “Mormon Church” has long been publicly applied to the Church as a nickname, it is not an authorized title, and the Church discourages its use. Thus, please avoid using the abbreviation “LDS” or the nickname “Mormon” as substitutes for the name of the Church, as in “Mormon Church,” “LDS Church,” or “Church of the Latter-day Saints.”
- When referring to Church members, the terms “members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” or “Latter-day Saints” are preferred. We ask that the term “Mormons” not be used.
- “Mormon” is correctly used in proper names such as the Book of Mormon or when used as an adjective in such historical expressions as “Mormon Trail.”
- The term “Mormonism” is inaccurate and should not be used. When describing the combination of doctrine, culture and lifestyle unique to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the term “the restored gospel of Jesus Christ” is accurate and preferred.
- When referring to people or organizations that practice polygamy, it should be stated that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not affiliated with polygamous groups.
So… hello, members of the Restored Church of Jesus Christ. (I still don’t want you knocking on my door.)
And goodbye, Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
And congratulations, atheists. We’ve finally defeated Mormonism!… Just not the way anyone thought we would.