Colorado State Rep. Gordon Klingenschmitt has a habit of saying completely inappropriate things, a holdover from his time hosting a Christian talk show with viewers who are as fundamentalist as he is. (He’s still hosting it today.)
Maybe the worst example of this occurred after a horrific tragedy in which a pregnant woman was attacked by a man who literally cut the fetus out of her body.
Klingenschmitt said days later that this incident occurred because abortion is legal in this country. Even his Republican colleagues couldn’t denounce him quickly enough at that point.
But those of us who have listened to him for years have come to expect illogical rhetoric like this.
Even before he was elected to office in 2014 — when he won his election with 70% of the votes — his history of past nasty comments were well-known to those who paid any attention. Here’s a brief list of some of the things he had said:
- Openly gay Rep. Jared Polis would be “joining ISIS in beheading Christians.”
- Atheists should undergo exorcisms so they’ll be okay with graduation ceremonies in church.
- Our country’s foreign policy should be based on the Bible.
- “American law needs to reflect God’s law.”
- An exorcism once cured a woman of her “foul spirit of lesbianism.”
- President Obama is ruled by demons.
- If you’re gay, you should be discriminated against.
- Don’t Ask Don’t Tell shouldn’t have been repealed because gay soldiers would have to take breaks on the combat field “to change diapers all because their treacherous sin causes them to lose control of their bowels.”
Despite all that, they voted him into office.
But that was 2014 and they know him much better now.
Klingenschmitt announced last year that he would give up his House seat to run for State Senate.
Coloradans finally got their shit together and voted him out of office:
He will have no more political power! Hallelujah!
The down side is that the man who defeated him, Bob Gardner, is also a conservative Christian whose views on social and moral issues are abhorrent.
But at least he doesn’t have a TV show…?
(Thanks to Paul for the link. Portions of this article were published earlier)