Charlie Hebdo Cartoonist Says He’ll Be Leaving the Publication in September: It’s Too Much to Bear May 19, 2015

Charlie Hebdo Cartoonist Says He’ll Be Leaving the Publication in September: It’s Too Much to Bear

Rénald Luzier (below), better known as Luz, is one of the (remaining) cartoonists for Charlie Hebdo.

According to news reports, he avoided the same fate as his colleagues because he overslept and was late to work the day they were massacred. It’s fitting, then, that he illustrated the cover of the first issue following the attacks:

But in an interview published last month in Les Inrockuptibles, Luz said he would never draw Muhammad again: “It does not interest me.”

Now he’s going a step further. In an interview with Libération, Luz says he will be leaving Charlie Hebdo altogether this September. He just can’t deal with this shit anymore. And who can blame him?

According to a rough translation of his comments:

I needed some time [off] but I stayed in solidarity so I would not abandon anybody. But at one point it became to heavy to bear. There were not many [cartoonists] left; I had to do 3 out of 4 covers. Every editorial deadline became torture because the others were not here anymore. Spending sleepless nights asking those who are gone — Charb, Cabu, Honoré, Tignous — what they would have done is exhausting.

Again, it’s hard to fault him for his decision. I can’t imagine what he’s been going through since the beginning of the year but surely such an experience would take its toll on anyone. I hope he finds peace in whatever he plans to pursue in the future.

(Top image via Wikipedia. Thanks to Tristan and Mathilde for help with translation. Portions of this article were published earlier)


Browse Our Archives

What Are Your Thoughts?leave a comment