Todd Stiefel was one of the key people I worked with in preparing my post and I’m thrilled to see this good-faith offer that he made through the Stiefel Freethought Foundation.
In short, he’s proposing a $5,000 donation to We Are Atheism if they agree to correct some glaring problems. I’ve highlighted the major stipulations:
This gift is conditioned on the following criteria happening before the gift is given:
1. The website and design work must be opened up to public bid. As I understand it, this work is being done at cost by Adam Brown, which is wonderful, so I assume he will win the bid;
2. The complete set of proper and separate corporate financial accounts must be turned over to the President and Treasurer of WAA so only they are able to move or access organization funds;
3. That the We Are Atheism bylaws be amended to meet or exceed nonprofit industry standards, specifically including language that all board members are voted in or out using appropriate and standard process with no individual board members subject to special provisions making them unable to be voted out of their post;
4. That We Are Atheism create and abide by a policy manual for the organization that meets or exceeds nonprofit industry standards for organizational management, including but not limited to financial management and oversight, conflict of interest and/or undue influence, board member responsibilities, board meeting procedure, staff and volunteer management/review/termination, and travel policies;
5. That, in order to avoid further conflict of interest, Amanda Brown and Adam Brown immediately take a leave of absence from any position or responsibility as board members with We Area Atheism (or its affiliates) until such time as the independent audit is complete and made public. They may continue as volunteers, but must be completely independent of the financial audit process.
6. That We Are Atheism (the DBA) be dissolved or sold to We Are Atheism (the non-profit) for one dollar and no other consideration;
7. The board complete the process of auditing the financials. An independent certified public accountant and a tax attorney must audit and correct the books and filings of We Are Atheism (DBA) and We Are Atheism Inc. This audit must begin when We Are Atheism began fundraising in January 2011 to current date
8. This offer expires if the conditions are not met before June 30 2015.
President, Stiefel Freethought Foundation
My understanding is that the current WAA board has already undertaken many of these steps on their own. But the possibility of a major donation may give them even more incentive to get the audits and other paperwork done in a timely fashion.