Gordon Klingenschmitt (below), a minister known for saying the most extremist faith-based things you’ll ever hear in American politics, handily won his seat last night for the Colorado House.
In case you’re wondering why this is a frightening development, here’s a brief list of what Klingenschmitt has said in the past:
- Openly gay Rep. Jared Polis would be “joining ISIS in beheading Christians.”
- Atheists should undergo exorcisms so they’ll be okay with graduation ceremonies in church.
- Our country’s foreign policy should be based on the Bible.
- “American law needs to reflect God’s law.”
- An exorcism once cured a woman of her “foul spirit of lesbianism.”
- President Obama is ruled by demons.
- If you’re gay, you should be discriminated against.
- He agreed with the idea that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell shouldn’t have been repealed because gay soldiers would have to take breaks on the combat field “to change diapers all because their treacherous sin causes them to lose control of their bowels.”
Congratulations, Colorado. Have fun dealing with this guy.
There’s a silver lining here, which is that the state House is still majority Democrat, which means Klingenschmitt won’t have enough power to pass whatever zany legislation he wants.
But still: This guy’s in office. That should give all of us nightmares.
(via Right Wing Watch. Thanks to Ron for the link)