Earlier today, on Valentine’s Day, the Illinois Senate passed legislation to allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.
As an Illinoisan, I am obviously over the moon about this news!
Here are the quick details:
- The legislation passed 34-21 with two abstentions.
- It will change the state law defining marriage from “a man and a woman” to “two people.”
- It won’t force any religious institutions to take part in gay marriages (they don’t want to catch Teh Gey, after all…)
- Sen. Heather Steans sponsored the measure (someone get her an edible arrangement, STAT!)
- The bill now goes to the House where “the fight is expected to be tougher.”
- Governor Pat Quinn is expected to sign the bill if it reaches his desk.
Hopefully it won’t be long before we report some more good news from the House!