Back in 2008, before the elections that year, Focus on the Family put out a futuristic “Letter from 2012 in Obama’s America” (PDF) detailing all the awful things that would happen if we let that horrible leftist man take office:
… every future “event” described here is based on established legal and political trends that can be abundantly documented and that only need a “tipping point” such as the election of Senator Obama and a Democratic House and Senate to begin to put them into place
Turns out their predictions were pretty damn awful. (Shocking!)
Well, maybe that’s not surprising given that they still think Jesus is coming back in their lifetime…
Among their worries at the time?
- Gay marriage is declared a Constitutional right.
- The Boy Scouts of America is forced to “hire homosexual scoutmasters and allow them to sleep in tents with young boys.” They choose to disband instead of following those orders.
- Gender identity is part of a mandatory curriculum for first graders, including the “goodness of homosexuality” as a potential personal choice.
- The Bible can no longer be preached over the airwaves because it is considered hate speech.
- Churches must allow gay weddings on their property or risk losing their tax-exempt status.
- High school students are not allowed to worship at the Pole or gather for Bible studies.
- College Christian groups are no longer allowed on university property.
- “Under God” is removed from the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Sexual acts are allowed to be seen on TV all hours of the day. Porn magazines are visibly displayed on newsstands everywhere.
- Your right to own a gun is taken away.
- Christian publishers are no longer allowed to distribute books in major bookstores.
I can’t wait for Focus’ Jim Daly to issue an apology on the group’s behalf, saying they were wrong with just about everything and they will never again make apocalyptic predictions about Democratic candidates.
… of course that won’t happen.
That would require admitting they were wrong. And admitting that they made a big deal about nothing. And admitting that Obama hasn’t been too bad for Christians. And admitting that the expansion of civil rights to LGBT Americans hasn’t harmed us in the least. And admitting that Christians have as much right to express their views as they’ve ever had.
So don’t hold your breath.
Fred Clark especially enjoys the prediction about porn magazines being visibly displayed on newsstands:
I can’t figure out which is more laughably wrong — that this is what they imagine is the real secret agenda of President Obama and his party, or that anyone in 2008 was looking ahead to 2012 and predicting boom times for print media.
Well played 🙂