The Atheists, Humanists, and Agnostics at the University of Wisconsin – Madison took advantage of a program that allows them to send an email to the entire student population… for a price.
(I remember doing something similar at my college to promote a debate on God’s existence my atheist group was holding. It worked. It got the word out to a *lot* of people and the attendance was in the hundreds.)
Here’s the email they sent:
Are you an atheist, agnostic, skeptic, pastafarian, or otherwise nonreligious student?
Come join Atheists, Humanists, and Agnostics at UW-Madison this Fall!
AHA is a great way to meet fellow nonbelievers here on campus, all while getting involved in the secular movement. Our meetings will be every Wednesday at 7 PM in 155 Van Hise.
We hope to see you there!
In the meantime, join our email list for info regarding upcoming
meetings and events by simply sending a blank email to this address.
And be sure to check out our Facebook group.
Additionally, if you’re blog-savvy, we have one of those as well.
That’s about as harmless an email as you could send.
And yet, the response from religious students has been absurd. Here’s just a sampling:
Group 4: Missing the point, badly.
- Don’t email me these requests. If you choose to be “atheist,” then you call yourself god. Please take me off whatever list you have created. Thanks.
- Why is a group like this needed? Is it something you fear or do you just hate christians that much to want to exclude them?
- the secular movement? really? more like popular culture- lolkatz- don’t send your stuff here
- Feel free to never send me emails again. I don’t need to hear this kind of stuff showing up in my mailbox. I’m a faithful Christian and I’m sorry that you’ve lost your way.
Group 5: Bat shit crazy.
- You live in a nation under GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. His miracles surround you every day. Open your eyes. The only person that would die for you are the men and women of the US Armed Forces and the Lord Jesus Christ. Get with the program fools and stop spreading this useless shit. There are real problems out there.
- I just wanted to let you know that Jesus loves you and he is coming back soon. All will bow down and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Have a blessed and wonderful day!
Do you need any more evidence as to why groups like this are so important? Just their mere existence is enough to draw responses like this one.
Imagine if the email said how they *really* feel 🙂
If you want to see the rest of the responses, check out AHA!’s website.