Last month, Jen McCreight raised $2859 for the Secular Student Alliance during her blogathon.
How *dare* she out-fundraise me? Last year, I raised only $2592.
I must destroy her. I must help out the SSA even more.
I came up with a brilliant way to do this… I will offer prizes! Good ones, too.
For years, every time I’ve gone to an atheist conference or to an author’s book signing, I’ve carried a special copy of I Sold My Soul on eBay with me and asked atheist leaders and celebrities within our movement to sign it.
The result is this:
The signers include:
- Margaret Downey (former president of Atheist Alliance International)
- Nica Lalli (author of Nothing: Something to Believe in)
- Ellen Johnson (former president of American Atheists)
- Brian Sapient (Rational Response Squad)
- Kelly O’Conner (Rational Response Squad)
- Greydon Square (atheist rapper)
- Sam Harris (author of The End of Faith)
- Richard Dawkins (author of The God Delusion)
- Daniel Dennett (author of Breaking the Spell)
- Rob Boston (Americans United for Separation of Church and State)
- Pastor Deacon Fred (head pastor at Landover Baptist Church)
- Mynga Futrell (co-founder of The Brights)
- Paul Geisert (co-founder of The Brights)
- Mike Estes (African-American freethinkers educator)
- Julia Sweeney (former Saturday Night Live actress and creator of Letting Go of God)
- Matthew Chapman (Charles Darwin’s great-great grandson and author of 40 Days and 40 Nights)
- Christopher Hitchens (author of God is Not Great)
- Eugenie Scott (executive director of the National Center for Science Education)
- Jamie Raskin (Maryland State Senator and same-sex marriage advocate)
- Ellery Schempp (activist who helped end mandatory Bible readings in public schools)
- Matthew LaClair (student activist)
- Lou Appignani (Humanist philanthropist)
- Wendy Kaminer (lawyer and writer)
- Phillip Pullman (author of His Dark Materials Trilogy)
- Simon Singh (author of Big Bang and Fermat’s Enigma)
- Paul Kurtz (founder of the Center for Inquiry)
- Phil Plait (author of Death from the Skies!)
- DJ Grothe (president of the James Randi Educational Foundation)
- Adam Savage (co-host of Mythbusters)
- Michael Shermer (founder of Skeptic magazine)
- Paul Provenza (author of ¡Satiristas!)
- James Watson (Nobel Prize winner and co-discoverer of the structure of DNA)
How do you get your hands on that baby?
You’ll be in a random drawing for it if you donate at least $100 to the Secular Student Alliance. (This item only can be sent anywhere in the world!)
Did I mention that James freaking Watson signed it?!
But, ok, maybe that’s a bit out of your range right now.
If you donate at least $20 to the Secular Student Alliance, you’ll be in a drawing for one of the following pieces of secular swag! (Modeled by the SSA’s Senior Campus Organizer, Lyz Liddell)
We have a green shirt (in size XL):
And a yellow shirt (in size XL):
And a grey shirt (in size 2XL)!
And this cup!
And this miniature version of Rodin‘s “The Thinker”
Totally looks like President Obama deciding what the politically correct thing to say is about the (close to) Ground Zero mosque…
Again, you’re in the running for one of those items if you donate at least $20 to the Secular Student Alliance:
And if you donate at least $5 to the SSA, you’ll be in the running for one of these items, donated by the good folks at EvolveFISH:
An EvolveFISH keychain (there are 4 of these available):
A vinyl atheist emblem (there are 8 of these available, in the color of your choice!):
Those could be yours for a donation of $5 or more.
Whatever you can give would be extremely appreciated by the Secular Student Alliance, especially as we begin a new school year. We have over 200 affiliates and the count always seems to be going up.
Whether or not you donate, please spread the word about this! Blog about it, Tweet about it, tell your Facebook friends, etc.
The SSA is a group that meant a lot to me when I was in college. I was thrilled to be elected to their board several years ago, and I’m proud to work with them now.
If the ChipIn widget (and PayPal) isn’t your thing, you can also give via credit card by going here.
Thanks for all your help in advance.
Now, let’s beat Jen 🙂