There’s lots of stuff happening right now and I feel like spewing it all out.
- I have two more classes and then I’m *finally* done with my Masters degree. My grade doesn’t even really matter; I just need to pass… so hopefully, after June, you can all call me Master Hemant.
It’s about time, too. This is a 1.5-year program that I began 4 years ago… the same time all the eBay weirdness happened.
The classes work like this: you meet 8 hours on a Saturday and 6 hours on a Sunday. A month later, you meet 8 hours on a Saturday and 6 hours on a Sunday (and there’s a midterm somewhere in there). A month later, you meet for 6 hours on a Sunday (and there’s a final somewhere in there). That’s it. You take two classes at a time (every other week) and you’re done after 6 quarters.
So why did it take me so long?
The conversation with the program head went something like this:
Me: Professor, you know how I’m halfway through this program?
Me: Right… so I need to take a hiatus for a little while.
Professor: Oh? Why is that?
Me: I have to go to church every Sunday for the next few months.
Professor: [Confused look]
The “few months” lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. I took time off to write the book, do my student teaching and start my actual teaching job. I finally resumed classes last summer:
Me: Hi, Professor. Remember me?
Me: Right… I’m done going to church now. Can I come back into the program?
Professor: You got money?
Me: [Pulls out credit card]
Professor: Welcome back!
I’m almost done. Yay!
- The state tournament for Speech/Forensics is this weekend. The kids I coach are awesome and I hope the state judges feel the same way.
And for those of you who don’t think it’s a big deal, it’s a *huge* event in IL.
- My birthday’s coming up on Thursday, the 25th. Woo! How should we celebrate?
- Speaking of my teaching job, do I even have a position next year? Who knows. My district “released” all non-tenured teachers next year (including me) because the state’s not giving us money.
There’s some reason to be optimistic about getting rehired back (I teach Math as opposed to an elective, I’m relatively young and therefore less expensive, I coach a team, etc.) but it’s frustrating to not know if my job is secure. I won’t know what happens for at least another month.
If it doesn’t work out, I’m not sure what I’ll do yet…
(Anyone need a math teacher? I’ll write proofs for food.)
- My parents currently think I’m never going to get married. And they’re getting desperate for grandkids:
Them: Do you have a girlfriend?
Them: Umm… Do you have a… boyfriend…?
Them: *Oh, thank god.* Do you want us to import you a wife from India?
Them: We’ll buy you a ticket to India so you can meet someone.
Them: We can all go next week if you wa—
Them: We can make a profile for you on Shaadi.com.
Them: Ok, we’ll let you date white girls.
Me: I’m gonna go now…
- On the weekend of my birthday, guess where I’ll be?!
It’s *very* exciting.
And I’m strictly forbidden from telling the blog world until I have permission. Which I’m still waiting for… you’ll find out soon, though.