Vjack offers a solid list of steps anyone can take to become an atheist activist:
- Vote up good atheist-related material on Digg, Reddit, and/or StumbleUpon. This helps others find it.
- Take action on relevant action alerts you receive. This is typically as simply as making a phone call, signing an on-line petition, or sending a letter to an elected official.
- Write letters to the editor of your local newspaper.
- Learn about the Pledge Project and why it is so important to remove “under god” from the pledge and “in god we trust” from U.S. currency.
- Learn who your elected officials are, how they vote on issues of importance to atheists, and how to contact them.
- Find out if there is a local atheist group in your area, or if you would rather connect with other atheists online, check out Atheist Nexus.
- Give blood.
- Learn how to work toward ending anti-atheist bigotry.
- Look for opportunities to make a difference in your community.
He goes into more details on his actual post.
I would add a few more to the list:
- Become a member of (or donate what you can to) an atheist organization you support!
- Tell other people you are an atheist (when appropriate). Come out!
- Go to at least one atheist convention every couple years. If you can make it to more, even better.
What else would you add?