Christian apologist Frank Turek (author of I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist) just wants you to consider these questions in light of the California Supreme Court decision to overturn the gay marriage ban:
1. For what secular purpose does the state endorse traditional marriage (i.e. what benefits does the state experience from traditional marriage)?
2. What would be the results to society if every adult lived faithfully in traditional marriage?
3. What would be the results to society if every adult lived faithfully in same-sex marriage?
4. In light of your answers above, should the state legally equate heterosexual and homosexual relationships by endorsing same sex marriage?
… I just want to see how much people have thought through this very controversial issue.
Because allowing gay marriage means you will be forced into a gay marriage, no children will ever be born, and civilization as we know it will die out.
Either that, or the crime rates will go up, children will be hurt, and taxes will go up.
No joke. He really thinks that.
According to Turek, here’s what will happen (PDF) if we allow same-sex marriage:
- Legalization of same-sex marriage will provide state and cultural endorsement of unhealthy behavior that reduces lifespan significantly.
- Endorsement will lead to more homosexual behavior, higher medical & health insurance costs, and restrictions on free speech and religious liberty.
- Endorsement will make same-sex marriage the legal and cultural equivalent of traditional marriage.
- With same-sex and traditional marriage equated, marriage itself will become just about coupling; it will not be culturally necessary for having children.
- With marriage not culturally necessary for having children, cohabitation and illegitimacy will rise to historic highs.
- Higher cohabitation & illegitimacy rates will hurt children, increase crime, and result in huge costs to individuals and government. Taxes will rise and/or benefits and services will be cut.
That is *so* airtight right there.
I see no flaws whatsoever.
Want a little more?
How would legalizing same-sex marriage hurt you?
a. Higher medical and insurance premiums
b. Higher taxes to pay for the financial benefits of marriage to homosexuals and the social costs that result from increased illegitimacy (including crime and welfare)
c. Reduction of your employee benefits to pay for those of homosexual couples
d. Workplace indoctrination
e. School Indoctrination of your children into the “normalcy” of homosexuality (despite the health concerns and moral objections of parents)
f. Preferential adoption to homosexuals at the expense of married couples (Children will be treated as trophies!)
g. Loss of tax-exempt status to organizations that refuse to hire homosexuals
h. Loss of free speech/religion rights (as is now the case in Sweden and Canada)